Tuesday, July 3, 2012

to get help when you need it.


Since young, I've been taught that MY BODY IS A TEMPLE and I should do everything I can to protect and nurture it. So what do I do? I eat well! Really well! But let's face it. Good food can sometimes be bad. This past year I've been paying closer attention to what I eat. Simply because I can afford to now, and I have the time to prepare meals daily. 


But even eating well does not guarantee the daily vitamins and nutrition your body needs. So I take quite a few supplements to help out. 


Biotin: I started taking biotin early 2010 because I had really damaged hair from perming it, coloring it and constant exposure from sun and salt water. I started with 1000mcg, loved it and switched it to 5000 mcg a year later. There are so many brands out there but for me, this brand from walmart only costs $6 for 120 capsules. I see absolutely no reason to spend more on other brands cos It's been working so well for me. 

Women's Ultra Mega Active: This is my multivite. I've been trying a few brands but I honestly feel a huge difference with this one. I actually feel more alert after taking it and my pee comes out neon yellow!! Lol. My friend Cristy takes this as well and she has researched the yellow pee phenomenon and it's because when our bodies ingest too much minerals and vitamins, our liver simply gets rid of the excess when we pee. 

Oxyelite: This is a thermogenic I take every morning right after I wake up. Well, actually, right after I feed my fishies cos my poor babies have been starving all night long!!! But yeah, a thermogenic basically helps you lose weight and go harder when you work out. I find that Oxyelite doesn't really do anything for me when I don't work out. My weight remains the same. But it helps me sweat more and be more focused when I work out. 

Iron: I am slightly anemic. When I'm not eating properly or when I'm having my period. So I only take this when I feel like I have to. The Multivite I take already has iron so I barely take this now. 


Fish Oil: I've heard so many benefits from consuming fish oil. I've read that Omega-3 help with depression, psychosis, ADHD, Alzheimer's, age-related macular degeneration, diabetes, asthma, developmental coordination disorders, movement disorders, dyslexia, obesity, kidney disease, weak bones .... the list really just goes on and on. And for women, it helps avoid painful periods; breast pain; and complications associated with pregnancy such as miscarriage, high blood pressure late in pregnancy, and early delivery. I was actually told by my doctor to start taking them because I've had reoccurring cases of endometriosis even after having a surgery to remove it last September. If all these benefits do not stand a reason for you to start taking them, I don't know what will. Personally, I've seen a huge help in defusing my period cramps. I used to have them pretty bad. But now I really don't even feel it anymore. 

Psyllium Seed Husk: This has been such a huge help for my in losing weight! I am such a snacker and I can literally eat all day. Ask any of my friends and they will tell you I'm not shy when it comes to eating. I sometimes eat more than my husband does and he'll testify to that too. Anyway, what I have been doing for the past 3 months, is after breakfast, take 2 capsules, and after lunch, 2 again. There are psyllium seed powders you can mix with water or juices but I find them kinda hard to down cos they expand really fast. Another benefit from taking so much fiber is I go #2 with such ease!! Not to be gross, but it's an amazing feeling when you feel so cleansed every morning! Lol. But having a healthy bowel also means having better skin and general health. Simply because your digestive system is not storing all the bad toxins.


Probiotic: What is it? WHO defines it as “live microorganisms which when administered in adequate amounts confer a health benefit on the host.” If you think about it, many of our common-day chronic ailments begin in the digestive system. This natural antibiotic increases our ability to produce antimicrobial action against the pathogens in the food we eat, the air we breath, and the things we come in contact with. Stress, unhealthy lifestyles, and most importantly, unhealthy acidic diets, destroy our natural amounts of probiotics. Taking a healthy dose of probiotics daily will help with: 

  1. Enhanced immune system response
  2. Reduces negative affects of taking many types of antibiotics
  3. Aids in preventing and treating colon inflammation following surgery
  4. Helps to prevent eczema in youth
  5. Increased ability to digest food
  6. Therapeutic for viral respiratory tract infections by enhancing the overall immune system
  7. Reduces lactose intolerance
  8. Reduces incidence of yeast infections, vaginitis and candidiasis
  9. Increases ability to assimilate the nutrients from food
  10. Alleviates many common digestive disorders such asconstipation, diarrhea and IBS
  11. Acts as a remedy for bad breath (halitosis)
  12. Increases ability to synthesize vitamin B
  13. Increases ability to absorb calcium
  14. Promotes anti-tumor and anti-cancer activity in the body
Bee Pollen: This is more of a herbalist-naturalist-hippy approach towards vitamins and nutrients. I've done my research and webmd *click* and it says "scientists still cannot confirm that bee pollen has any health benefits." So yeah.. I'm not counting on it, but I sprinkle a spoonful on my smoothies cos I like how they taste! mmm :)

I know this post is pretty wordy and long, but it's meant to be informative. I remain that 

"IF YOU TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY, 
YOUR BODY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU."

Hope you guys found this helpful and please share if you are using other supplements and how they have helped you. Outties! :)





4 comments:

  1. So informative!! I love this and I definitely learned something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Cristy! I'm so glad I got you on board with the whole supplements thing!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was very helpful!!

    ReplyDelete